Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Snooze Express Towards South Africa

Thanks to Ricardo Clark's stunning outward bender, the United States took all three points in Trinidad & Tobago on Wednesday night, moving temporarily to the top of the CONCACAF qualifying table and coming to the verge of qualification for World Cup 2010.

The game was about as non-descript of a crucial win as you'll find, with ultra-homeless-looking Clint Dempsey's otherwise lackluster play the most remarkable aspect of the 1-0 American win. Luckily for the Yanks, Dempsey crossed a ball that Landon Donovan fed to Ric, who pounded home the game's lone goal.

The States win guarantees them no less than the CONCACAF/CONMEBOL playoff, which pits the No. 4 seed from the former against the No. 5 seed from the latter for one of the final World Cup slots.

I don't know if I can stay up any later, but in the 63rd minute, both the Mexico/Honduras and El Salvador/Costa Rica matches are scoreless. My calculations say we should hope to El Salvadorian and Honduran victories. I'll update everything else tomorrow (or tonight when I punish my morning my staying up).

No comments:

Post a Comment