Saturday, July 4, 2009

Gold Cup, match 1 tonight: States v. Grenada

It's been a busy week, so I'm a day or so late to report that the States have been granted a special provision allowing them seven more players for the Gold Cup selection. From here-on-in, any Gold Cup featuring a team competing in the Confederations Cup will be allowed to select 30 players instead of 23, meaning Jozy Altidore, Conor Casey, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan, Jonathan Bornstein and Brad Guzan will be available for the tournament, though the US is not announcing who will be in each match's 18.

If all are available, I expect to see Jozy and Brian Ching up top, with Freddy Adu and Robbie Rogers behind. Then, Clark and Feilhaber holding above Steve Cherundolo, Chad Marshall, Heath Pearce and Bornstein. I'm not sure who would play inside, and I'm trying to get to the gym before Fourth festivities kick off, so forgive me if I'm missing something, like Guzan between the pipes.

Grenada vs. United States, 9 p.m. EST (yes, during fireworks) on Fox Soccer Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment